今天來分享一首詩,我記得兩年前(感覺好老)我也分享過一首詩,如果有興趣可以去看看,我把連結放在最下面。

其實我平常不太讀英文詩的,畢竟我連中文新詩都不太喜歡。得知這首詩是因為一首歌(在下方等等會分享),讀完後覺得很喜歡。所以在這邊分享給大家。

undefined

 

When you are old and grey and full of sleep, 
當你老了,頭髮花白,睡意漸濃
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
在爐火旁瞌睡,請拿起這本書
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look 
慢慢地讀,夢見那溫柔的臉龐
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;
而你的眼眸曾如此的深邃 
 
How many loved your moments of glad grace,
有多少人愛你那光輝的歲月
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
或真心或假意的愛著你的面容
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
但始終有一個男人,愛著你虔誠的靈魂 
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;
愛著你一天天滄桑的憂愁 
 
And bending down beside the glowing bars,
在灼熱的柵欄旁跪下 
Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
憂傷的低喃著愛情的消逝 
And paced upon the mountains overhead
漫步到頭頂上的山頭 
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.
把他的面龐藏在群星之中 

 

William Butler Yeats was an important 20th century Irish poet. He was a powerful influence behind the Irish Literary Revival and also founded the Abbey Theatre along with Lady Gregory, and Edward Martyn. He served as its chief for some time and also promoted J.M. Synge, Sean O' Casey and others.  In 1923, he won the Noble Prize for Literature, which he regarded as “part of Europe's welcome to the Free State”.

葉慈是二十世紀十一位重大的詩人。他是影響愛爾蘭文學復興(註1)很重要的一員,並同Lady Gregory(註2)以及Edward Martyn(註3)創建了艾比劇院。他曾當過一段時間的文學領頭,並一同帶起了約翰沁孤、肖恩奧凱西和其他人。他於1923年時贏得了諾貝爾文學獎,並稱他為迎來歐洲自由的一份子
 
In his youth his writings were influenced by the Irish legends and folklore. In the modern age, however, his works became more realistic and free from the mystic beliefs of his early years.

在他年輕時,他的詩文被愛爾蘭的傳奇和民間童話影響。中年時,他的作品轉為從他年輕時的神祕主義而來的現實和自由的筆調。

Yeats had proposed to Maud Gonne, a beautiful, rich and brainy feminist, in 1891 and many times after that but had been rejected.

葉慈曾對Maud Gonne,一位美麗、有錢、聰明的女性主義者求婚了很多次,但都被拒絕。

這首詩就是寫給她的,告訴Maud Gonne說很多人都只愛你美麗的外表,但我是愛著你虔誠的靈魂。

He finally married Georgie Hyde Lees and had two children with her – Anne and Michael.

他最後娶了Georgie Hyde,並有了兩個孩子 ─ Anne和Michael。

The poem is based on a sonnet by Pierre de Ronsard.

這首詩是以比埃爾.德龍沙(註4)的十四行詩為基礎加以譜寫的。

 

註1:愛爾蘭文學復興是指於十九世紀末至二十世紀初大量出現愛爾蘭文學作品的時期

註2:Isabella Augusta, Lady Gregory是愛爾蘭的戲劇家和民俗學家

註3:Edward Martyn是名愛爾蘭戲曲編劇

註4:比埃爾·德·龍沙,法國詩人。十九歲時成為了一名神職人員。在這位本來一心侍奉神的少年情竇初開的時候,出於對美麗的卡桑德拉的愛慕,龍沙開始了愛情詩的創作。他在1552年為自己的女神寫下了著名的十四行詩《愛情》。因為作品大獲成功,龍薩從此便被承認了作家的身份,並被公認為卓越的愛情詩人。

-*-

我是在無意中聽到莫文蔚唱了一首歌〈當你老了〉,覺得很好聽便去查這首歌,一查才發現這首歌其實是翻譯於一首詩,也就是葉慈寫的這首〈當你老了〉。

莫文蔚唱的這首非常有感情,即使她也是翻唱。推薦大家也去聽一聽。

 

///詩 Poem/// <但你沒有 But You Didn't> By Merrill Glass

arrow
arrow

    Cicely 發表在 痞客邦 留言(1) 人氣()